Manufacturing environments are often fast-paced, busy environments that require flexible, non-disruptive facilities management services that work seamlessly around production schedules. Learn how Andron Facilities Management supported TechnipFMC at their Dunfermline campus, through a bespoke, best-value specialist cleaning and support services solution.
TechnipFMC is a leading technology provider to the traditional and new energies industry; delivering fully integrated projects, products, and services.
Having been awarded a contract for office cleaning at TechnipFMC’s Dunfermline campus in early 2004, our responsibilities on-site have expanded to include window, carpet, upholstery, and specialised manufactory cleaning, as well as a wide range of support services.
With a total area of 301,000 square feet to be kept clean, TechnipFMC’s Dunfermline Campus is a vital part of the oil and gas technology titan’s organisation. The site encompasses 6 large, cross-functional offices, and industrial manufacturing spaces. Furthermore, a new area was constructed on-site, adding an additional 30,000 square foot of floor space to our extensive cleaning schedule.
Move to Day Time Cleaning
Andron put forward a proposal to move from a predominantly part-time evening cleaning regime to a more visible daytime cleaning operation. Supported by innovative equipment, such as silent and cordless vacuums, the refreshed service now works unobtrusively around core TechnipFMC business tasks.
This approach also delivers an enhanced service through increased communication with client representatives, increased flexibility, and increased staff retention. Operatives feel more engaged while taking increased ownership and pride in their tasks, leading to heightened standards. It also negates the need for heating and lighting for out-of-hours cleaning operatives and reduces the potential security and safety risks of having lone workers. Additionally, the operatives qualify for more benefits and work more sociable hours, increasing retention and motivation.
Operational Zoning & Task Cards
Andron optimised task scheduling as well as implementing operational zoning and resource planning. Cleaning operatives take pride, ownership, and responsibility for their work, which has led to a dramatic improvement in cleaning standards.
Rather than relying on sub-contractors, we upskilled our cleaning operatives and provided appropriate equipment and training to allow for the delivery of window cleaning, carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning by our on-site team. Even the specialized cleaning within the manufacturing sections of the site, such as swarf cleaning, coolant removal, internal roof cleaning, crane cleaning and periodic deep cleans of all machinery has been integrated into part of our service delivery package. This has reduced costs and increased our ability to deliver these services reactively outside of the previously fixed schedule.
In order for us to successfully provide services to the required level of excellence, we understood that client communication was key. Just a few of the channels we communicate through are listed below:
- During the on-site monthly audits our contract managers conduct, TechnipFMC representatives are invited to join in order to pass on their feedback as clearly as possible.
- Our owner-operators in the board of directors are constantly available for any queries or issues that our clients may have, ensuring a swift response.
- Day cleaning ensures that client personnel can quickly and easily communicate their needs to our staff.
Following the implementation of the full cleaning and support services delivery package at Dunfermline, we have been able to demonstrate significant benefits for TechnipFMC, even when considering the extra 30,000 square foot that had to be covered.
Firstly, because of the switch to day-time cleaning alongside the upskilling of our operatives, the cleaning standards site-wide have increased, with client feedback scoring above 90% on monthly audits, year after year.
Secondly, due to the streamlining of the service delivery as well as Andron being able to provide a best-value, one-stop-shop, we have been able to provide consistently lower costs to TechnipFMC.
Thirdly, the Dunfermline site is now firmly self-sufficient, with all services being provided in-house and all operatives trained to complete all tasks allowing for reactive absence management.
As a result of our work at Dunfermline, we have since been awarded a national contract with TechnipFMC, covering the company’s eight UK offices and manufacturing plants, from Evanton in the Scottish Highlands down to London, England.
Furthermore, in 2020, we were awarded the “Best Cleaned Manufacturing Premises” award at The Kimberly Clark Golden Service Awards, as testament to our commitment contract development and service excellence.
True Partnership through hardship – COVID-19
In addition to all of the great work mentioned above that has been carried out at TechnipFMC in Dunfermline, we have supported our client to remain open throughout the pandemic, demonstrating the benefits of an effective partnership. Some of the highlights of our COVID-19 response are detailed below:
- We increased the cleaning hours required per week to allow for the delivery of our enhanced cleaning regime.
- Every desk was cleaned on-site Monday to Friday using newly implemented signage to show desks have been sanitised.
- Increased janitorial presence to provide a night shift presence (this allows for fogging to be carried out if required).
- We supported TechnipFMC in providing PPE & chemicals to help with Covid-19 when the client-supplier was running low.
- We supplied fogging machines for the site to be used when required.
- Before the supply of fogging equipment, all Covid-19 cleans were turned around in under 4 hours.
- We assisted TechnipFMC staff to source new sanitisation stations and to supply and install Covid-19 visual aids around the site.
- We assisted TechnipFMC staff to move and transform office spaces into additional locker rooms and eating areas.
- We worked with TechnipFMC to help sanitise all office equipment for home working staff.
- We provided additional high level & MEWP training to on-site janitors to ensure enhanced cleaning.
Through the last year, the TechnipFMC site has remained fully operational without having to shut down at any point and thanks to the dedication of the Andron FM team we have managed to maintain a very high standard of cleaning on site. Due to the high level of sanitisation carried out, the campus has remained safe, hygienic and productive throughout the pandemic.